Every year many accident occurs, with some care they can be prevent any further harm being don to the body of injured person in case of an accidental injury.
Do not move the casualty unnecessarily. Keep him warm. Make a diagnosis, decide the treatment and treat. Remember the ABC of First Aid: see if his/her airways are clear, that he/she is breathing blood circulation is patent. Read each of the following carefully.
Learn Basic First Aid information
- Burn and Scalds
- Nose Bleeding
- Bee Sting
- Animal Bites
- Snake Bites
- Essence of First Aid Kit
- RESPIRATION: if it is falling give artificial respiration- MOUTH to MOUTH or MOUTH to NOSE.
- BLEEDING: arrest the bleeding and protect the wound. Apply direct or indirect pressure.Cover with a Dressing, apply a Pad and firm Bbandage, Elevate, Keep rest.
- FRACTURES: IMMOBILISE it with a well padded stiff support reaching the joints on either side. Apply bandages on either side of the site and at the joints on either side, support.
- BURNS AND SCALDS: A burn is caused by dry heat and scald by moist heat like steam, very hot water or oil. IMMEDIATELY cool the area with cold water for 15 minutes till pain subsides. DO NOT break blisters or apply on the burn. cover with a sterile or clean cloth, pad and bandage. Give fluids to drink.
- NOSE BLEEDING: Sit him /her up facing the breeze with the head slightly forward. to breath through the mouth and NOT to blow the nose. The soft part of the nose may be pinched close with the fingers for 10 minutes. Cold application on the back of the neck and forehead may help.
- BEE STING: Do not press the bag of the sting. Use forceps and remove the sting. Apply cold or weak ammonia.
- ANIMAL BITES: Wash with soap and plenty of water. Loose bandage may be applied. Get quickly medical.
- SNAKE BITES: Keep the patient calm wash with plenty of water and soap. DO NOT RUB hard. First apply a constrictive bandage on the heart-side of the bite. ( Not to applied continuously for more than 20 minutes).Do not incise or attempt to suck the wound. Get aid quickly. Try to identify the snake.
- FAINTING:Lay him/her down and loosen the clothing around chest and waist. Turn the head to one side. The legs may be raised a little. DO NOT attempt to give any solids or liquids. On recovery a small quantity of a drink may be given and he may be allowed to sit up and move after rest.
- GENERAL: If you are in doubt of the treatment the DO NOT DO anything. You may do more harm. These are only hints. To be a good FIRST AIDER you can do the first aid course counducted by the St. John Ambulance Association in all the states. Also join the Ambulance Brigade in your state. Contact your state centre for details.
ESSENCE OF A FIRST AID KIT
A good first aid kit must contan the following things inside it- Adhesive tape, Crepe bandage, Cotton, Wool, Sterile Dressing, Soap, Gloves, Scissors, Thermometer, Pain Killer, Antacid, Mineral Water, Triangular Bandage, ORS Packets and Antiseptics Liquid Disinfectant like Dettol or Savalalon.