- Shri Pingali Venkayya, the designer of the Indian National Flag.
- Venkayya version was the first Indian Flag design for Indian National Congress and subsequently modify in 1947.
- March 31, 1921 in the Indian National Congress conference held in Kakinada, conceived the idea of a National Flag,
- The design was approved by Mahatma Gandhi with a few modification in the year 1947. while Lala Hansraj added the Dharm Chakra ( Wheel of Law) to it and Gandhi requested a white strip.
- Belong to Brahmin Family
- Born on August 2, 1876 to Hanumantharayudu in Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Died July 4,1963 at Vijayawada, Andhrapradesh, India.
- Shri Pingali Venkayya Garu is also known as Diamond Venkayya, Patti Venkayya, cotton Venkayya.
- He was an Indian Freedom fighter
- He was largely forgotten by the society and by his own party.
- His whole life was in poverty, and at the time of his death he was is in own hut.
- After finishing his primary education at Challapalli
- Complete the schooling from Hindu High School.
- Went to Colombo to complete his Senior Cambridge.
- Quest for Education, he went to Lahore to joined the Anglo Vedic College
- Learnt Japanese, Urdu and History .
- Due to immense knowledge in Geology and obtained a doctorate
- He setup and educational institution in his home town Machilipatnam
- Joined British Army with a patriotic zeal in the age of 19 and took a part in the Anglo-Boer war in Africa.
- While in Africa he met Mahatma Gandhi and their rapport lasted for more than 50 years.
- Worked as a Railway Guard, His patriotic zeal, did not permit him to stagnate in a permanent job.
- From 1906 to 1911, Pingali spent most of his time researching staple varieties of crops and came up with the study on a special variety called Cambodia Cotton.
- He was an authority on Diamond mining in Andhra Pradesh, India.
- He spent 5 years 1916-21 researching flags of 30 countries and finally came up with the present tricolor.